1. The Caleb Love sport. The Tar Heels are considered one of eight groups remaining after a 73-66 win over UCLA.
2. Love, who wasn’t good in any respect within the first half, was merely sensational within the second half. He made 10 of his 16 discipline aim makes an attempt and 5 for 9 from three-point vary, placing up 27 factors within the half (the remainder of the workforce had 16). The sophomore guard completed with 30 for the sport.
3. Carolina went very three-point heavy down the stretch. Till the possession with beneath a minute to go, the Tar Heels had taken 14 of their final 15 pictures from three-point vary and ten in a row. That ended when RJ Davis missed a shot within the lane and Armando Bacot tipped it again in. The Tar Heels scored on their last 5 possessions and completed the sport on a 12-2 run.
4. Gutsy name by Hubert Davis to run a halfcourt set for Brady Manek with 4:30 remaining. At that time, Manek hadn’t made a shot within the half, was largely down on himself, and Carolina was down by two. Manek swished it. Carolina additionally ran a play for Manek out of a timeout with simply over three minutes left. It is fairly easy: Hubert Davis trusts Manek, who completed 5-for-13 for 13 factors.
5. Johnny Juzang is likely one of the first gamers in a month or so to have some semblance of offensive success in opposition to the protection of Leaky Black. Juzang put up 14, however was simply 2-for-Eight within the second half.
6. After sharing the ball very effectively in Fort Price, Carolina went largely one-on-one by necessity in opposition to the Bruins. The Tar Heels had simply 11 assists on 27 discipline targets.
7. Carolina quietly obtained some good minutes from Puff Johnson in that sport. Dealing with a troublesome defensive project in opposition to Johnny Juzang, Johnson largely stayed with him all around the courtroom, particularly in a key second half stretch when Hubert Davis sat an emotional Brady Manek. Johnson was credited with two rebounds however was really accountable for one other offensive rebound that he saved beneath the Tar Heel basket. Davis (who coached an incredible sport) trusted Johnson twice within the second half–once subbing for Bacot and as soon as for Manek–and the sophomore delivered.
8. Armando Bacot handed Ronnie Shavlik (who additionally owns the primary and second spots on that checklist) for sixth on the all-time ACC single-season rebounding checklist. Subsequent on that checklist is Tim Duncan. Bacot completed together with his 28th double-double of the season, placing up 14 factors to go along with 15 rebounds. The one-season report holder in that class for the ACC is Duncan with 29, that means Bacot may tie him within the subsequent spherical.
9. Massive turnout of Carolina basketball alumni readily available in Philladelphia for the sport. An unofficial and possibly not full checklist contains Tyler Hansbrough, Marcus Ginyard, Jesse Holley, Bobby Frasor, Shammond Williams, Dave Hanners, Melvin Scott and Walker Miller. Roy Williams, in fact, was additionally within the Wells Fargo Middle stands.
10. Carolina will face the nation’s darling, Saint Peter’s, on Sunday at a time TBA for an opportunity to go to the Ultimate 4.